January 13, 2011

big news!!!

About 11 years ago, I decided that meat just wasn’t for me. I’m not a huge fan of blood dripping from whatever Is going into my mouth. Of course, everyone pressures you to eat meat as soon as you don’t. I can’t even count how many times my girlfriends and I would go out to get icecream cones and they would ask the cashier if they would hide some meat in my icecream, or the texts from Tanman that go a little something like this: “STOP DEPRIVING OUR CHILD OF PRECIOUS MEATS”. Since the dawn of Tanman and Merelips, I had always promised him that I would try meat again when I was carrying his baby, expecting that I bought myself a few years.  He has kindly reminded me of my promise each time meat  has been served, but I have somehow been able to resist. It wasn’t until a few weeks ago when Tanman and I went to In-n-out that I started considering going to the dark side. I became obsessed with the cheeseburger that the little boy at the table next to us had. For some reason the baby inside me was begging for it. It took all my strength not to take it from this poor stranger. Well, the other night we found ourselves at Smashburger (scrumptralescent) with brother and sister in law and baby H. Looking at their burgers compared to my chicken sandwich I just had to have a bite! So I took Tanman’s burger and bit into it. I’m not going to lie. It was good! Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, I’m not about to go order an entire burger for myself but I definitely would have a few more bites of that goodness Don’t think I’ve gone completely meat-eater, I still want my food cooked in a separate pan with separate utensils from meat and I’m sure this too shall pass after we meet this little guy. Next time I’ll try a Boca patty and see if he falls for it.

5 comments:

Hannah Lillywhite said...

smashburger is soooo good! i'm glad that you broke your non red meat streak with smashburger. that and in n out are your best options for a situation like that!

Lindsay said...

It's true I was a witness of this event!!!! Smashburger is delicious!! We'll have to go again, Mike still says it's on him if you order an entire Hamburger!! Haha! Wow and that picture makes that burger look very heavenly!

Amy said...

yum! That burger looks delicious! Where is smashburger located?

Meredith Hayes said...

Mer we are so living the same life. I have been a veggie since I was 19 for the same reasons -- it's not that I care so much because I think the poor cows need to have a long life, it is just gross to me to look at a steak and see the muscle grain.

BUT my #1 paranoia this pregnancy has been Sufficient protein and I've been eating it ever since the hour I found out I was pregnant. It's kind of nuts. I'm my very own freak of nature. I look forward to going back to my old ways in 3-6 weeks!!!

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

I am in complete shock right now. Wow. That's all I have to say!! Good job Meredith!! I ate way more chicken than beef before I met Steve.... but now-- complete opposite! Those Larsen boys are such beef eaters that they got me addicted to the amazing flavor! You're next my love!